A Green Card, also called a permanent resident card, is an immigrant visa that serves as proof that its holder has been granted legal authorization to permanently reside and work in the United States.
One can obtain a Greencard via a number of ways. These include:
- Family Based Immigration
- Employment Based Immigration
- Refugee or Asylum status
- Other special categories
To be eligible for a green card one must:
- Qualify for one of the immigrant categories- The most common categories are family based immigration, having a family member who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident petition for you, or employment based immigration, having a US employer petition for you.
- Have a petition filed and approved- In order to obtain in green card one must have an immigration petition filed on his/her behalf.
- Have an immigrant visa available- Visa availability varies, while immediate relatives of U.S. citizens have visas available and thus can obtain permanent residency without a wait. For other applicants there is normally a wait until a visa becomes available, the wait time will be based on their priority date, preference category, and country of origin.
- Be admissible into the United States- In order to obtain a green card one must be admissible. There are several grounds of inadmissibility to the United States such as: having a communicable disease, likelihood of becoming a public charge, having committed or been convicted of a crime of moral turpitude, unlawful presence in the United States, previous removal or deportation from the United States and more.
Leave the process to an Immigration Professional
While the above requirements may seem straightforward, there are many intricacies involved in the application process and often times an applicant may get denied despite meeting the above requirements if any parts of the application are filled out incorrectly. This may set applicants back months if not completely ruin their chances of a second application. Since the process is complex and the outcome is vitally important, it is recommended to hire an experienced immigration attorney to navigate this complex process for you. We are a full service immigration law-firm that practices exclusively in immigration matters and will be happy to discuss the specifics of your case with you. Contact us by phone or email today to schedule a consultation with Shirley Reginiano, Esq.
Why should you hire Immigration Lawyer Shirley Reginiano
- Avoid costly mistakes and delays in dealing with the USCIS
- Experienced immigration attorney who deals exclusively in immigration matters prepares and file your case, NOT a Notorio or Paralegal.
- Access to legal advice from the comfort of your home or office
- Low, Flat Fee with no hidden costs.
- Full Review of your particular circumstances
- Confirmation that a Greencard filing is appropriate for you
- Checklist of documents that you need for your Greencard Application
- Complete & Accurate preparation of your Greencard application
- Submission of your Greencard application to the appropriate government agencies
- Timely correspondence with government agencies handling your application
- Expert advise on what to expect at the USCIS interview